Arizona Dream



"this is a film about a man and a fish
this is a film about dramatic relationship between a man and a fish
the man stands between life and death
the man thinks
the horse thinks
the sheep thinks
the cow thinks
the dog thinks
the fish doesn't think
the fish is mute, expressionless
the fish doesn't think, because the fish knows everything.
the fish knows everything..."




a movie from Emir Kusturica, from 1993.


first thing to say=the soundtrack is very good!
in fact, it's a weird movie, in which reality and dreams mix. I had a list "movies to see", and this was one of those at the top of the list.
in the movie, there is a guy, Axel (johnny depp) who lives & works in New York. one day, his cousin Paul comes, he wants Axel go with him to Arizona for their uncle's wedding. Axel refuses, but Paul makes him drunk, and drives to Arizona.
In Arizona, Axel is forced to run the family business, and there he meets with two ladies:a rich naughty girl Grace, and her mother-in-law Elanie. after some time, Axel and Elanie start making love, and Axel helps Elaine for her dream come true:flying! he designs small planes, and at last they succeed! through the end of the film, Axel falls in love with Grace, she likes him too. but in the end, I won't tell what happens in the end:)
the main element in the movie is the fish! I am sure it symbolizes something, but unfortunately I cannot find what?

here are some famous quotes from the movie, the ones that I like:
Axel: "Whenever I try to remember my dreams, I always turn 'em into stories. But dreams are like life. You can't catch it with your hands because you can't catch something you don't really see. If you believe in your dreams, you could be sure that any force, a tornado, a volcano or a typhoon, wouldn't be able to knock you out of love; because love exists on its own. "

Axel:" My dad always said that work was like a hat you put on your head. And even if you didn't have pants , you didn't have to walk down the street ashamed of your ass as long as you had a hat... "

Axel:" These philosophies, with pies and bananas and Q-tips and..."
Paul:" I'm an artist. "
Axel:"You're a bullshit artist."
Paul:" Bullshit artist, artist, whatever. Art is art."

Grace:" I'm not going to die. I'm going to live forever until one day I wake up. "

I couldn't find the trailer of this movie, but you can click here to watch a funny part from the movie.

Also click here to listen the soundtrack by Iggy Pop & Goran Bregovic. I really like it.

Hiç yorum yok: